Back up iPhone or iPad using your Mac (macOS Catalina v.10.15 and above)
- Connect iPhone and your computer using USB.
- In the Finder sidebar on your Mac, select your iPhone.Note: To use the Finder to back up iPhone, macOS Catalina is required. With earlier versions of macOS, use iTunes to back up iPhone.
- At the top of the Finder window, click General.
- Select “Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac.”
- Check the “Encrypt local backup” checkbox to encrypt your backup data and protect it with a password. This ensures that uKnowKids can successfully synchronize with data such as SMS/iMessage and Call data.
- Check the "Automatically sync when this [device] is connected" checkbox to enable automatic syncing.
- Check the "Show this [device] when on WiFi" checkbox in order to enable WiFi syncing for when your child is on the same WiFi network. This enables you to avoid having to connect the device to your host computer to complete a successful sync process.
- Click Back Up Now.
- Check that the Backup completed successfully by reviewing the most recent backup date and time. In addition, make sure the that the last backup is "to this Mac".
NOTE: As described above, you can connect iPhone to your computer wirelessly if you set up Wi-Fi syncing. This Apple support article goes into greater detail on how to do this.